- Place the syrup, yeast and water into a bowl and stir. Allow to activate for between 5-10 minutes until creamy and foamy.
- Place the flour, salt and yeast mixture into the bowl of an electric stand mixer with the dough hook attached and mix at medium speed for around 6-7 minutes until you have a smooth formed dough.
- You can add extra water a tablespoon at a time if the dough is too dry.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a further two minutes then place into a large bowl and cover with cling film.
- Place somewhere warm to rise for around an hour and a half.
- Line two baking sheets with baking parchment and spray with cooking spray.
- Deflate the dough and cut into eight equal six pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball between your hands. Cover any dough not being used at the time with cling film.
- Lightly wet a clean work surface (unfloured) and take each dough ball and roll into a sausage around 9 inches in length.
- Wrap the dough around the fingers of one hand palm facing upwards. Overlap the ends then turn your hand over and roll on the work surface to seal the dough together.
- Repeat with all the balls of dough placing each one into the lined baking sheets when rolled and formed.
- Sieve a light coating of flour over the top of each bagel dough to prevent the cling film from sticking to the tops then cover and place in the fridge overnight.
- The following day, remove from the fridge and leave to come to room temperature for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 450f.
- Prepare the poaching water by bringing around 1.8 litres of water to the boil with the maple syrup, baking soda and salt.
- Check the bagels are ready by placing one in a bowl of water. If it floats it is ready, if it sinks leave it for another 30 minutes to an hour. Then do the float test again.
- Place 3-4 bagels at a time into the poaching water, boil for one minute on each side then place back onto the baking sheet. Repeat until all bagels have been poached.
- Beat the egg white and water then brush over the top of the bagels and sprinkle over the seasoning.
- Place in the oven for around 15.18 minutes until golden brown.