Honey Roast Ham
Is there anything better than a whole sweet sticky ham in the centre of the table for a family roast or entertaining with guests. It is a most impressive display and even better to taste.
- 5-6 kg gammon joint
- 2 onions peeled and quartered
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped into thirds
- 4 celery sticks halved
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns slightly crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 star anise
- Jar of cloves
- 225 gr runny honey
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard (you can use wholegrain if you prefer the texture)
- Place the gammon joint into a large stock pot and add in the onions, celery, star anise, peppercorns, carrots and bay leaves.
- Cover with water and cook for around two and a half to three hours (work on 20 minutes per 500g).
- Once cooked, remove from the pan and set aside to cool until cool enough to handle.
- Preheat the oven to 200oc.
- Remove the skin but leave on the fat and score into diamond shapes.
- Place a clove into each diamond until the whole fat is covered with cloves.
- Mix the brown sugar, honey and mustard together in a bowl and brush all over the gammon.
- Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes basting with the sauce every ten minutes.
- Heat any remaining glaze in a pan and simmer until it becomes concentrated and thick and sticky.
- Pour over the cooked gammon or serve on the side.