Hot Cross Buns
- 540 plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 55 gr light brown sugar
- 85 gr unsalted softened butter
- 2 large eggs plus one egg yolk (save the white) at room temperature
- ¼ cup apple juice
- ½ cup dried mixed fruit
- ½ cup raisins
- 1¼ cup room temperature milk
- 2 tsp instant yeast
For the icing:
- 130 gr icing sugar
- ½ tsp Nielsen Massey Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4 tsp milk
- Grease a 9” x 132 baking tray.
- Mix the apple juice, dried fruit and raisins in a bowl then microwave until warm. Cover and allow to cool a little.
- Place all the remaining dough ingredients into the bowl of an electric stand mixer and knead until you have a soft elastic dough.
- Add in the fruit mixture including the liquid and mix until combined.
- You will have a sticky dough at this point.
- Cover the mixing bowl and allow to rise for one hour in a warm place.
- Deflate the dough then take a muffin scoop and scoop portions of the dough. Roll into balls then place into the prepared baking tray.
- Cover the tray and allow to rise for a further hour.
- The buns will be touching each other after this rise.
- Preheat the oven to 375f.
- Whisk the left over egg white with a tablespoon of milk and rush over the buns.
- Bake for around 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for five minutes before transferring in one piece onto a cooling rack.
- Once cooled, pull apart the buns.
- Place the icing into a small piping bag and pipe a cross onto each bun.