Truly Terrific Trifle
For the custard
- 500 ml whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 200 gr caster sugar
- 40 gr cornflour
- 3 large eggs
- 100 gr dark chocolate chopped finely
For the whipped cream
- 450 ml double cream
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
Chocolate for grating and chocolates for decoration.
- Begin by making the custard.Place the milk into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- In the meantime, place the caster sugar, vanilla bean paste, eggs and cornflour into a bowl and whisk together.
- Once bubbles start to appear in the milk, turn off the heat.
- Add a ladle of the hot milk to the egg mixture and whisk well, then add a second ladle and whisk again.
- Pour the remaining milk into the eggs and whisk well then return to the pan over a medium heat stirring until it has thickened.
- Once thickened stir in the chopped chocolate and stir until melted and combined and smooth.
- Pour into a bowl and cover with clingfilm ensuring the film sits on top of the custard to prevent a skin forming.
- Place in the fridge to chill for a few hours.
- Whisk the cream and sugar until it forms soft peaks then chill until ready to use.
- Slice the swiss roll into 8-10 slices.
- Place them upright around the edges of the trifle dish and along the base of the dish.
- Spread a layer of the chocolate custard on top of the sponge followed by a layer of the whipped cream.
- Add a second layer of sliced swiss roll but flat layers then top again with the custard and finally a deep layer of the whipped cream.
- Grate over chocolate and decorate with individual chocolates.
- Chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
(You can make this a Tiramisu trifle by soaking the sponge in Amaretto and espresso and adding baileys into the custard)
recipe from the theme Loved Leftovers