Chocolate Hazelnut Torte
This rich decadent chocolate cake smothered in a chocolate hazelnut ganache is heaven in a bite.
For the chocolate hazelnut ganache:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup nutella
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 7 oz semi sweet chocolate plus extra for shaving on top for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 350f and grease and line two cake tins.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy then add in the egg and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt then add one spoonful at a time to the butter mixture and alternate with the sour cream and cooled coffee, starting and ending with the flour.
- Beat until just combined but do not over mix.
- Place into the oven to bake for around 25 minutes and until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the centre of the cakes.
- Once removed from the oven, allow to cool in the cake tin for ten minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the chocolate hazelnut ganache:
- Place the sugar, cream and chocolate into a pan and heat on a low heat until melted and smooth.
- Remove from the heat then whisk in the nutella.
- Place into a bowl, cover and chill in the fridge until you have a consistency that will spread well but is not too runny. Stir occasionally whilst chilling as the outer edges set quicker than the centre of the ganache.
- Place a small amount of ganache onto a serving plate then place one layer of cake on top. Spread the top of the cake with the ganache then place the second layer on top.
- Spread ganache on top and around the edges of the cake and smooth with an offset spatula.
- Shave semi sweet chocolate across the top of the cake.