This recipe proves that anyone can make a soufflé – and it is worth the effort.
- Preheat the oven to 190oc.
- Rub the inside of the ramekin soufflé dishes with unsalted butter. Add a teaspoon of sugar to each one then tilt and tap the dish rolling the sugar around until the inside is all coated.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a bowl then place over a pan of simmering water and melt stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before adding in the vanilla and salt.
- Whisk together the egg yolks with one quarter cup of sugar. Whisk until they have lightened in colour and the mixture forms ribbons that hold for a few seconds.
- Add the yolks to the cooled chocolate and fold in gently until fully combined.
- Beat the eggs whites until frothy then add in the remaining quarter cup of sugar and continue whisking until they form stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the eggs whites into the chocolate mixture in two halves incorporating one half fully before adding the second half.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared ramekins and place in the oven.Bake for 18-20 minutes until the soufflés have risen and the tops have set.