Lemon Drizzle Cake
So the lemons in this dish do not make it count as one of your five a day unfortunately – but definitely worth the indulgence.
- 125 gr butter softened
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 150 gr caster sugar
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 3 lemons juice and zest
- 180 gr plain flour
- 4 tbsp milk
- icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180oc Grease a non stick loaf tin and then dust with flour to prevent sticking.
- Cream the butter and sugar together then gradually add in the beaten eggs. Mix until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder and lemon zest and mix well before adding in just two tablespoons of the lemon juice.
- Mix until combined then beat in the milk.
- Pour into the cake tin and bake for around 45 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
To make the drizzle:
- Start by mixing 50g icing sugar with the remaining lemon juice – it should be a runny consistency but if too watery you can add more icing sugar if required.
- Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for five minutes before transferring to a plate.
- Using a skewer, make holes all over the top of the cake.
- Pour the drizzle over the top of the cake and allow to absorb through the holes.Then devour!