Apple and Walnut Breakfast Muffins with Cream Cheese Frosting
These are like having dessert for breakfast, now who wouldn’t love that!
For the frosting:
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 tsp Nielsen Massey Pure Vanilla Extract
- 8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 375f and line a muffin tin with paper cases.
- In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar with the vanilla extract.
- Add in the eggs one at a time allowing each to be fully incorporated before adding in the next.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture alternating with the milk and both starting and ending with the flour.
- Beat on low speed until just combined.
- Fold in the diced apple and walnuts.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, fill the muffin cases until around three quarters full then place into the oven to bake for around 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack completely.
Now to make the frosting:
- Beat the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy then add in the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar and mix until you have a smooth thick consistency.
- Place the frosting into a piping bag with a simple round nozzle attached and pipe swirls on top of the cooled muffins.
- Sprinkle with extra chopped walnuts if you want an added nutty crunch.