recipe from the theme Loved Leftovers
- 3 regular courgettes
- 1 egg white
- 75 gr flour
- vegetable oil for frying
- parmesan and lemon zest for serving
- Wash and cut the courgettes into 1cm batons.
- Sprinkle the batons with salt then place in a sieve over a bowl and leave for 20 minutes to allow the salt to draw out the excess moisture.
- Place the flour in a bowl and add in the sparkling water. You want a smooth runny batter almost like double cream.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg white until you have stiff peaks then fold it into the batter.
- Place a deep pan over a medium heat and coat the bottom with around two cm of vegetable oil. Heat to 180oc. Drop a piece of bread in and if it sizzles and colours in 15 seconds, the oil is ready to use.
- Pat the courgette batons dry then toss in the batter and place in the pan to cook for just a minute or two.
- Do this in batches so that you do not lower the temperature of the oil.
- Remove and place onto kitchen paper to absorb any excess oil.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, parmesan and lemon zest and serve immediately.