Coconut Cream Pie
Pie is huge here in the USA but not as we know it in the uk. Pie here is sweet and delicious.
- 1½ cups wholewheat flour
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 extra large egg yolks
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2¼ cups whole milk
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp Nielsen Massey Pure Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3 extra large egg whites
- 1 cup marshmallow crème
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350f and grease and line a spring sided pie plate or cake tin.
- First make the crust. Place the flour, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the milk into the oil and stir then add into the flour mixture and stir until you have a crumbly mixture.
- Press into the prepared tin then place into the oven for around 20 minutes until golden.
- Leave to cool in the tin on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, make the filling. Place the sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt into a pan and pour in the milk whilst whisking. Bring to a boil then turn down the heat and continue to cook for around two minutes stirring continually until the mixture has thickened then remove from the heat.
- Place the egg yolks into a bowl and add a ladle of the hot filling mixture and whisk to combine.
- Pour this egg mixture into the filling pan and place back onto the heat.
- Whisk continually until it comes to a boil again, continue for a couple of minutes more then remove from the heat.
- Stir in the butter, vanilla and shredded coconut and set aside.
- Finally make the meringue. Beat the egg whites in a clean dry bowl until you have soft peaks then add in the marshmallow crème and beat on high speed until you have stiff and glossy peaks.
- Pour the filling into the cooled pie crust and spread in an even layer. Top with the meringue ensuring that you cover the whole of the filling to the edges of the tin.
- Tap with a spatular to create little peaks that will toast in the oven.
- Sprinkle over the shredded coconut then place in the oven to bake for around 15 minutes until the meringue is golden.
- Cool in the tin on a wire rack for an hour then place into the fridge to chill for a minimum of three hours.