Phil´s Sticky Toffee Pudding
This is my husbands favourite dessert and for good reason and the toffee sauce takes it to a whole new level, I eat it on its own – perks of being the chef!
For the sauce:
- 150 ml double cream
- 100 grams dark muscovado sugar
- 75 grams softened butter
- Place the dates in a bowl and pour over 150ml of boiling water. Add the teabag and bicarbonate of soda and leave to soak for ten minutes.
- Remove the teabag then add the vanilla extract and mash with a fork.
- Preheat the oven to 180oc. Butter a 20cm x 30cm dish or regular pie dish. Line with baking paper.
- Beat the butter with the light and dark sugar until smooth then beat in the eggs. Beat in the milk then add the softened dates. Do not worry if the mixture appears to split at this point, it will come back together once the flour is added.
- Fold in the sieved flour until combined then pour into the baking tin or dish.
- Bake for around 35 minutes until risen and golden.
To make the sauce:
- Heat the cream, sugar and butter in a pan over and low heat stirring until smooth and golden.
- Remove the pudding from the oven then leave to cool for a few minutes. Remove from the tin onto a plate then pour half of the sauce over the top.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and the remaining sauce.