So I like to convince myself that the fruit in this recipe makes them healthy.
- 8 apples from fridge
- 420 ml double cream
- 240 ml golden syrup
- 400 gr dark brown sugar
- 60 gr unsalted butter
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Wash and dry the apples to remove any wax on the outside as this will prevent the caramel from sticking.
- Stick a wooden or plastic stick into the centre of each apple until secure.
- Line a baking tray with parchment.
- Place the sugar, syrup, cream, butter and salty into a saucepan and heat over a medium heat. Stir constantly until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
- If required, you can brush the inside edges of the pan wioth a pastry bursh and water to stop the sugar from crystalizing.
- Using a sugar thermometer, continue allowing the caramel to boil until it reaches 240oc without stirring. This can take around 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat then stir in the vanilla extract.
- Set aside to cool for around fifteen minutes and to thicken slightly.
- Dip the apples into the caramel coating all the side then sit on the parchment to set.
- If using toppings, roll immediately after coating into the toppings.
- Leave to set for 45 minutes.
- Keep in the fridge for one week.