Easy Tomato Soup Olive Croutons
This really is the easiest tomato soup and the olive tapenade toast is the perfect finishing touch.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 small bunch of basil extra for garnish
- 400 gr tin of plum tomatoes
- 1 tbsp sugar
- slices of white bread tosted
- olive tapenade
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, a pinch of salt and cook until soft – around five minutes.
- Add the oregano and basil and cook for another minute.
- Tip in the tin of plum tomatoes then fill half of the can with water and add this also to the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper and add in the tablespoon of sugar.
- Bring to the boil then simmer for around ten minutes.
- In the meantime, toast the white bread and allow to cool.
- Using a hand blender, blitz the soup until smooth.
- Cut the cooled toast into shapes using cookie cutters then spread each piece with the olive tapenade.
- Spoon the soup into bowls and season with cracked black pepper, top with the olive crouton and add a basil leaf to decorate.