Did you make this recipe?
Almond Horseshoe Cookies
I had honestly never tasted anything like these rich moist almond cookies until i moved to the USA.
- 454 gr almond paste
- 1 cup white sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tsp almond extract
For the glaze and garnish
- 1 egg white mixed with one tablespoon water
- Sliced almonds
- 150 gr dark chocolate
- Line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- Break the almond paste into small chunks and place into the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add in the sugar and using a paddle attachment, whisk until you have a crumbly mixture.
- Add in the salt and mix again to combine.
- Slowly add in the egg whites and mix until the dough comes together.
- Place into a piping bag with a round nozzle attachment.
- Pipe into horseshoe shapes into the lined baking trays leaving at least two inches between each cookie.
- Brush each cookie with the egg white and water mixture and sprinkle with the sliced almonds.
- Place into the fridge for a minimum of two hours before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 325f.
- Place the baking trays in the oven to bake for 15 minutes until the edges of the cookies are just beginning to turn golden but the cookies are still blonde.
- Allow to cool for a few monites on the baking trays until stable enough to transfer onto a wire cooling rack.
- Once cooled, melt the chocolate and place into a small piping bag.
- Pipe the chocolate over the ends of each horseshoe cookie and allow to set.
- These will keep covered for around one week.