This is a hearty traditional farmers' dish as opposed to a light soup that you may be used to seeing. Partridge is an excellent source of protein and lower in both fat and cholesterol than both beef and chicken.
- ½ rabbit
- ½ hare
- 1 partridge
- 5 cloves garlic
- ½ green pepper (optional) chopped finely
- 200 gr tomato with skin and seeds removed then chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 300 gr mushrooms quartered
- 100 ml olive oil
- 1 torto gazpachera cut into small pieces (This can be purchased online)- aim for 80g per person
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4-5 liters water
- a couple of strands of saffron
- Cut all the meats into even sized pieces.
- Put the oil into a large pan and heat then add the meats and season with salt and pepper. Fry over medium heat. Once the meat starts to golden add the garlic cloves smashed but with the skin still on.
- Add the pepper and tomatoes and allow to cook a further five minutes before adding the mushrooms and mixing well. Allow all the ingredients to cook for a further five minutes before adding the water to cover. Add the thyme and rosemary.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes removing any fat from the surface throughout. Once cooked through removes the meat from the pan and removes all bones before adding the meat only back to the pan together with the chopped pie. Turn off the heat and cover with a lid. Leave to stand for 15 minutes.
- With a mortar and pestle, crush a clove of garlic and add the cumin and saffron (toasted) and some black pepper. Then using a little of the stock from the pan make a paste.
- Add this paste to the large pan, mix well and then heat once again to just below boiling point. Season with salt and pepper if required. Serve hot.
Be careful not to get confused with the richest cold soup from Spain, the Andalusian gazpacho, it is a very different recipe and in my book #authentichspanishcooking there is a version of gazpacho. Gazpacho Manchego recipe is on page 78 of the book. Copyright 2020 @ Julie Neville, Authentic Spanish Cooking, Pen and Sword White Owl Publisher, All Rights Reserved.