Chilli Charred Cauliflower Steaks
Cauliflower has come a long way from simply being boiled and served with a roast dinner!
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp lime zest
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or coriander
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- Slice the stem from the base of the cauliflower head to create a flat base on which to stand it. Slice four large thick steaks from the cauliflower and reserve any remaining florets.
- Place a couple of tablespoons of olive oil into a bowl and add in the chilli powder, onion powder, half of the ground cumin, half of the salt and half of the pepper. Stir well then rub all over both sides of the steaks.
- Using the same bowl, add in the lime juice, chopped cilantro, lime zest, honey and remaining salt, pepper, olive oil and ground cumin. Stir well then set aside a couple of tablespoons to use to baste the steaks.
- Heat the grill, bbq or broiler then place the steaks onto the grill and cook for 6-8 minutes until they have a lovely charred colour. Baste a couple of times with the lime mixture.
- If you have any remaining florets, place them onto a broiler safe tray and char these also. Be careful not to burn them as they will cook much quicker being smaller.
- Turn and repeat on the other side for another 6-8 minutes until the steaks are charred and tender.
- Place the steaks onto a serving platter and drizzle over the remaining lime mixture.