Ham and Mushroom Croquetes
Mushrooms are low in carbohydrates and calories yet rich in fiber, B vitamins and protein. They are a natural and powerful anti-inflammatory food and boost the immune system. Onion is also a wonderful immune boosting food and also aids the detoxification of the body. They are an anti-cancer food, rich in vitamin C and so boost the production of collagen in the body required for healthy muscles, skin, joints and ligaments. However, this dish is fried and contains significant amounts of fat and calories and so is a one star health rated dish.
- 150 g plain flour
- 100 ml olive oil
- 1 onion
- 200 g mushrooms
- 150 g ham
- 1 ltr milk
- 1 tsp of nutmeg
- 2 eggs beaten
- fine breadcrubs
- Chop the ham and mushrooms and sauté with the olive oil. Add the onion and the flour and stir continuously for three minutes. Heat the milk in a separate pan and slowly add to the mixture stirring continually and heat until the desired consistency is achieved which is quite thick.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool before storing in the fridge overnight.
- Place some plain flour in a bowl. In a separate bowl, place some beaten eggs. Take small handfuls of the chilled mixture and roll into balls. First, dip into the egg mixture and cover fully, then roll into the flour and finally roll in and coat completely with the breadcrumbs.
- Repeat this until have used all the chilled mixture.
- Heat enough sunflower oil in a pan until hot to cover the croquetes, then place into the oil.
- Cook for a couple of minutes on each side until golden. Remove from the oil and place onto some kitchen paper to soak up any excess oil then plate up and enjoy!
Please note this recipe requires cooking in advance and storing in the fridge overnight. Ham and Mushroom Croquetes recipe is on page 208 of the book. Copyright 2020 @ Julie Neville, Authentic Spanish Cooking, Pen and Sword White Owl Publisher, All Rights Reserved.