Parmesan Aubergine Bites
Super simple yet stunning and delicious. Even my non aubergine loving husband cannot get enough of these.
- 2 aubergines
- 1 pck store bought filo pastry
- ½ cup home made or store bought tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp of chopped fresh basil
- ½ cup fresh parmesan
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- pepper to season
- salt to season
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200oc
- Chop the aubergine into half inch pieces
- Heat a wide bottom pan and add some olive oil. Add the aubergine and cook until soft and golden – around 8-10 minutes
- Remove from the heat then stir in the tomato sauce and quarter of a cup of parmesan
- On a chopping board, lay out one sheet of the filo pastry and brush with olive oil. Top with another and repeat and continue until you have four oiled sheets on top of each other.Cut these into 12 squares.
- Take a cup cake tray and lightly oil each hole. Place one of the four sheet squares into a hole and press down making a little basket and repeat filling all holes.
- Place some of the aubergine mixture into the bottom of each filo cup then top with some of the grated mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle with the remaining parmesan and a little cracked black pepper then place in the oven (middle or lower rack) for around 15 minutes until golden and bubbling.Can be eaten hot or cold.