Roasted Artichokes with Parmesan Crisp
This is a great dish to place in the centre of the dinner table and let everyone share.
- 3 medium/large artichokes
- 2 lemons
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 1½ tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- Olive oil
- Salt and cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450f.
- Fill a large bowl with cold water.
- Zest one of the lemons then cut both lemons in half and squeeze the juice into the bowl of cold water.
- Slice off the end of the stalks of each artichoke and then the top one inch of the head.
- Use scissors to then snip off the top part of each leaf as these are tough and not edible.
- Slice the artichokes in half and remove the choke and any purple leaves. I use a spoon to scoop it out.
- As you do this to each one, place them cut side down into the lemon water as this prevents them browning. (think of how apples, bananas and avocados spoil quickly after being cut – artichokes are exactly the same)
- Once all the artichokes are prepared, spray a baking dish with non stick cooking spray and place each artichoke cut side down into the dish.
- Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and place into the oven until golden and crispy and tender – around 20-25 minutes.
- Whilst they are roasting, prepare the crispy topping by pouring a couple of tablespoons of olive oil into a sauté pan then adding in the panko breadcrumbs.
- Toast over a medium heat for a couple of minutes until golden brown then remove from the pan and allow to cool.
- Remove the artichokes from the baking dish and place cut side up onto a serving platter.
- Add the lemon zest, parmesan and parsley ito the cooled breadcrumbs and stir to combine.
- Load the centre of each artichoke with the crispy topping.
- These can be served immediately or even popped under the grill or broiler for a couple of minutes to crisp even more.