The Ultimate Steak Sandwich
This steak sandwich really does raise the bar!
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 onions
- 2 springs thyme remove the leaves and discard the stalks
- pinch sugar
- 75 ml ale beer
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 400 gr thick cut stake
- ciabatta bread
- 2 slices extra mature cheddar
- handful rocket or salad leaves
- olive oil
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat and add the onions, thyme, sugar and a pinch of salt. Cook for ten minutes until the onions are soft and golden.
- Add the ale and mustard and cook for a further five minutes.
- Heat a little olive oil in another frying pan on high. Season the steak on both sides with salt and pepper then add to the hot pan.
- Cook for five to six minutes on each side for medium/well.
- Remove the steak and allow to rest for ten minutes.
- Slice the ciabatta in half. Brush each half with a little olive oil and place cut side down in a hot grill pan just to char a little then remove.
- Spoon the onions over one half then top with slices of the cheddar. Place under a hot grill for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
- Place a handful of the rocket on top of the cheese followed by slices of the rested steak.
- Top with the other half of the ciabatta then slice in half and serve.