- 115 grams unsalted butter cut into cubes
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 cup of plain flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk with a splash of water for egg wash
- ¾ tsp salt
For the cream centre:
- 300 ml double cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp Nielsen Massey Pure Vanilla Extract
- 300 gr dark chocolate
- 300 ml double cream
- Heat the oven to 220ºc.Place the butter and sugar in a pan with the water. Stir over a low heat until the butter has melted and the sugar dissolved then bring to a boil.
- Take off the heat and add in the flour and beat well with a wooden spoon until the dough comes away from the sides of the pan. Stir vigorously until the dough resembles mashed potatoes.
- Place the pan back on the heat – medium heat and stir it mashing the dough against the sides of the pan and gathering up into a ball again to dry out the dough and cook the flour. Do this for three to five minutes.Once it pulls away from the sides and is glossy and shiny and thick enough to stand a wooden spoon up in the dough, it is ready.
- Transfer to a food mixer and mix on low for a few minutes until the dough is lukewarm to touch.
- Mix three of the eggs together and gradually add into the dough in four additions. Wait until each addition is fully incorporated before adding the next.Before adding the forth addition check the dough. If it is soft, creamy and smooth and holds its shape when scooped it is ready and does not require the extra egg.
- Using a piping bag, pipe small rounds onto the baking trays of around two teaspoons each.
- Brush the top of each puff with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar if required.
- Place in the oven for around 15 minutes until risen the turn the oven down to 190oc and bake for a further 15-20 minutes until they are puffed and golden and dry to touch. They will feel hollow when picked up.
- Remove from the oven and pierce the base of each profiterole with a toothpick then set on a wire rack to cool.
- Once cool, whip the cream with one teaspoon of vanilla extract and two tablespoons of icing sugar until stiff then pipe into the base of each profiterole until they puff up.
- Chop the chocolate finely and place in a bowl. Heat the double cream until almost boiling then pour over the chocolate. Leave for one minute then stir until the chocolate has melted and the sauce is glossy.
- Dip the top of each profiterole in the chocolate ganache and stack to create a tower.Chill until ready to serve.