Rich and delicious yet packing in those vegetables – and a low carb alternative to a regular lasagne.
- 3 large courgette thinly sliced into wide strips laid out onto paper towels to absorb any excess liquid
- 2 cups ricotta
- 1 cup parmesan or vegetarian alternative (plus extra for topping)
- 1 jar store bought marinara sauce
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 large eggs
- Salt and pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 350f.
- Mix together the ricotta, parmesan, eggs and some salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Spread a layer of the marinara sauce into the base of a baking dish then top with a layer of the courgettes.
- Spread over around one third of the ricotta mixture followed by one cup of the mozzarella.
- Spread another layer of marinara sauce, courgette, ricotta and mozzarella then repeat one more time for the final layer.
- Finish with a layer of courgettes and sprinkle over some extra parmesan – or vegetarian alternative.
- Season with some cracked black pepper then place into the oven to bake for around 30 minutes until the cheese is melted and the courgettes cooked fully.
- Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 5-10 minutes before serving with freshly baked crusty bread.