Irish Soda Bread
This recipe remind me of many happy memories of my childhood in Ireland and are definitely a tribute to my mother.
- 170 grams plain flour
- 170 grams self raising wholemeal flour
- ½ tsp of bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp of salt
- 290 ml buttermilk
- Pour in the buttermilk and mix quickly with a fork until you have a soft dough. Add more milk if necessary.
- Place onto a lightly floured board, kneed briefly and shape into a flat round loaf of around 20cm.
- Bake for around 30-35 minutes until the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cover with a clean dry tea towel which keeps the top of the loaf soft. Eat whilst fresh.