Pea, Saffron and Asparagus Risotto
- 250 gr frozen peas
- 175 gr bunch of asparagus cut into 3cm pieces
- 1.5 litre vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 2 cups risotto rice
- 30 gr parmesan or vegetarian alternative
- Place the peas and asparagus in a bowl and cover with boiling water then leave to stand for 3-4 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Place the saffron in a small bowl then cover with 60ml of boiling water and leave to infuse.
- Bring the stock to a boil in a saucepan then reduce the heat and keep on a gentle simmer.
- In a separate pan, heat the olive oil then saute the onion until soft for around five minutes. Add the rice and cook for a minute or two until translucent.
- Start to add the stock one ladle at a time until it has all been absorbed which will take around 25 minutes. The rice should then be tender and creamy.
- Half way through this process add in the saffron water and five minutes before the end of cooking add in the peas and asparagus.
- Once all the stock has been added, remove from the heat and stir in the parmesan.
- Season with cracked black pepper and serve.