Green Split Pea Soup
This is literally our all time favourite soup. I always make a double batch and it is gone in no time at all. A handful of ingredients makes a delicious bowl of goodness.
- 400 gr split peas soaked overnight in one litre of water
- olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 celery sticks chopped
- 1.25 ltr vegetable stock
- 500 gr frozen peas
- salt and pepper to season
- pine nuts for garnish
- Heat some olive oil in a large pan and add the onion. Cook until softened before adding in the celery.
- Stir for a few minutes then add in the soaked peas including the water plus the vegetable stock. Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer uncovered for around an hour during this time skimming any foam that forms on the surface.
- Stir in the frozen peas and cook for a further ten minutes.
- Blend until smooth.
- Heat some pine nuts in a small pan until toasted.
- Serve the soup in a bowl topped with pine nuts and a drizzle of olive oil and a little cracked black pepper.